Thursday, September 16, 2010

Live from Beachy Cove, It's Curriculum Night Live!

It was great to see so many of you here tonight, and nice to have a chance to fill you in on what we're up to. For those of you who couldn't make it, most of the material is covered in a handout that your child will bring home. For those of you who attended, I hope I didn't talk too fast or say anything too foolish.

Today was a lot of fun, as we worked on the 1st draft of letters in Language Arts and finished up some Math work from yesterday. Good to see that so many students are writing in their Reading Journals, as well! I requested that students also take out an English-language novel, which they are also welcome to write about in part or in full.

We had an attack of the plague, as several students were out due to illness. All's well that ends well it seems, since most will be back tomorrow. I always appreciate being contacted whenever your child will be out of class; it really helps me plan and make sure your child doesn't miss much work.

Just a reminder as well, we will be conducting a science experiment tomorrow that involves going outside. Please make sure that your child is dressed appropriately!

On the previous note, I did want to reiterate my stance on homework. I want work that is done at home or in class to be a positive experience, done to facilitate future fun and learning rather than as punishement. For example, rather than addressing it as "Do it or M. Paterson will be mad", I think using language like "If you don't get it done, the class won't be able to move along" or "You need to finish this, or you might miss things tomorrow" will work better in the scheme of things. Most of the students seem to have a fairly healthy attitude about work, so I'm not that worried.

No link for tonight, because I think I can hear my dog barking from here. Please contact me if you have any questions, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment